Insurance for Yacht Clubs
and Sailing Organizations
The Burgee Program is the only comprehensive insurance program developed to meet the unique needs of yacht clubs and sailing organizations. The program is managed by the marine experts at Gowrie Group, underwritten by Chubb Group, and endorsed by US SAILING. It is customizable to provide all types of sailing organizations, from year-round clubs to paper clubs, from active One-Design classes to sailing schools, the specific and complete protection and services they need. And, the program is carefully designed to protect not only the club or organizations, but also the board members, flag officers, volunteers, members, and employees.
More than 50% of yacht clubs in the United States, 150 One-Design class associations, and hundreds of other sailing organizations have already chosen The Burgee Program. The program enables each of these entities to confidently run regattas, borrow boats, teach sailing, hold social events, weather storms – and keep their club, board members, flag officers, volunteers, and employees well-protected.
Video overview of the Burgee Program.
The following is merely a sampling of the customizable protection available to you:
- Liability coverage for races, regattas, and cruises
- Hull and liability coverage for club-owned, borrowed, and chartered boats
- Sailing instruction coverage, for teaching juniors and adults
- Race management errors and omissions coverage
- Coverage for buildings, contents, and historical assets of the club
- Piers and docks coverage, including wave wash and flood coverage
- Workers’ compensation coverage for injuries to employees and volunteers
- Auto liability coverage for club-owned vehicles and trailers
- Umbrella liability coverage that extends over the D&O policy
- Jones Act coverage for employees working on the water
- Pollution and fuel spill coverage (accidental and sudden)
- Club members, employees, and volunteers named as additional insureds
- Additional liability coverage for directors & officers, employment practices, fiduciary, and crime
The Burgee Program can be customized for all types of sailing organizations, including:
- Yacht clubs — from small seasonal clubs to formal year-round yacht clubs
- Paper clubs — clubs that do not own or lease real estate
- Sailing schools — nonprofit, community-based, or for-profit programs focused on teaching individuals and groups how to sail
- Class associations — any incorporated association affiliated with a specific type/class of boat
- And more…
To learn more or apply:
If you are interested in learning more about The Burgee Program, please fill out the Inquire about Burgee Program form or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 800.262.8911. If you are already familiar with The Burgee Program, you can download all applications here.
Header photography (Ram Island Yacht Club) courtesy of Matt Lettrich
"Directors & Officers Insurance" graphic photography courtesy of Fried Elliot